Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sozzial Networking Sites - Likes it or Not?

I put together some thoughts that just came to me after the Google Buzz came in, it's one thing that takes away all my privacy... I am not liking it at all.

The pre-‘2000’ era -

This was probably how people who met each other in the late 90s or even before and communicated to get to know each other–

Mr.X: Hello! What do you do for a living?

Mr. Y: I am working with company ABC. What do you do for a living?

Mr.X: I work for company XYZ.

For the purpose of future communications, they exchange Business cards

The post-‘2000’ era -

This is how people communicate these days to get to know each other –

Mr.X: Hey bro, ssup?? What’s you gtalk ID? Do you Buzzzzzzzz?

Mr. Y: Yo man, I am on Facebook most of the time.. ping me there and you can get a response soon.

For the purpose of future communications, they exchange profiles in Orkut, FB, twitter, linkedin.. phew... did I get it all, or miss any?

We are all practically glued to the computer, especially the social networking sites. To be frank, I am addicted too, but for sure it’s not the best thing.

------------------------------------------------

FB and the likes this mania

I genuinely appreciate if someone “liked” a post or link that, in their perspective, is worth liking.. That’s individual rights.. But I sincerely don’t understand why for certain posts that do not carry a ‘likes it’ value or intended for a different purpose, people click on the option and say ‘likes it’. Here are some instances I got during the recent past.. real time ones from my FB page!

Post: ‘Happy Diwali’ AND ‘Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!’ (on different occasions, of course!)

Venki's response: Now, that was wishing people. You should either wish back or keep quite!!

Post: 16 Google wave invites...anyone need one?

Venki's response: Does this make sense?? And how many 'Likes this' do you think it got!!

Post: Hurray Tuesday!!!!!!!!!

Venki's response: Okay, so what?? How does a Tuesday in one person’s life affect the other person?????

Post: Mr. M. found some Premium White Mystery Eggs to share with their friends!

Venki's response: Wonderful and hilarious!! What else is required in life!!

Post: Mr. P. threw the mummy at 438 meters !

Venki's response: No comments ;-)

Post: It's not tht I can't it's just that I won't

Venki's response: Here’s someone who’s becoming lazy, and someone else now joins the party :P

Post: 2 more days

Venki's response: hmmm, errr.… and after that??

Post: Watched the toss. Now I can switch off teh tv

Venki's response: Very good. In the first case, an update on that was essential for sustaining the world economy :P And secondly someone liked this person not watching rest of the match, excellent! :D


I think now I have also got to ‘like’ everyone’s post, whatever it be… Next day if you post “Fell down and broke my hand”, I will “LIKE IT”!! After all, that is what is "Facebook Dharma" :-)